Saturday, June 5, 2010

Disguised Opportunities

I find myself getting better and better at teaching sharing time in church. It is not as difficult as it was when I first began. I can get by on much less preparation then I had to do at the beginning. I figured these kids would love me no matter what I taught them. Well, two weeks ago I was informed of a special visitor coming to Primary. I imagined it might be the Stake Presidency again, because that is usually how it is. (I used to get flustered when they joined us too.) Or maybe it would be someone from the bishopric, sometimes when they come, my heart would flutter a bit. Well, my President informed me that it would be none of the above. I could not think who else it could be, so I asked for details. As it turned out, it would be the 2nd counselor in the General Primary Presidency! Sister Cheryl A. Esplin! Someone who has contact on a daily basis with our very own Prophet, Thomas S. Monson! My heart surely skipped a beat this time and I was at a loss for words. What would I teach? What COULD I teach to someone so amazing? I panicked and sat down to prepare my lesson. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING came to me! I came away from my computer with a sense of failure and went to relax for a bit. I silently said a prayer asking for help. I sat down to begin my lesson once again and I prepared everything in ten minutes flat! I was thinking that there was something wrong and that I was going to be underprepared. When we finally got into the primary room and she entered and we were introduced, I began to freak out just a little bit. Singing time came first and I heard her mention to one of our stake presidency members that she couldn't wait until sharing time because she wanted to see what it would be like and how it would work. Ugh! How am I supposed to live up to that?! It was finally my turn......with sweaty palms and my heart beating in my ears, I began my sharing time and everything flowed smoothly. The children were good and responsive and I had a great time. She thanked me for a wonderful lesson and a wonderful spirit. She later (after visiting the class where Hailey goes) told me how beautiful my daughter was and how sweet her testimony is. I am thankful for the opportunities I have to serve. Especially for being in Primary with the little children. I would not trade it for anything else in the world. I am truly a blessed person!

No comments: