Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Brandon Scott

Baby Brandon Scott joined our family on July 16th, 2009 at 3:05 p.m. He weighed 8 lbs. 14 oz. and was 20 inches long.

I scheduled with the doctor to be induced that day (my due date) because I was in so much pain. My hips were really bothering me and it was getting rather difficult to sleep due to the pain in my legs and hips. We had called the hopsital and they said it would be sometime in the afternoon that they would call me to come in. I got a call the night before saying I was on the list and I was 5th in line. I was not expecting to get in until sometime after noon. Well, they called me on the 16th at 9 a.m. and asked me how soon I could be there. Jorge had just left for a meeting at work in Provo and I immediately called him and told him it was time to go. He rushed home while I showered and finished packing my bag. We dropped the kids off at Jorge's parents house and we headed to American Fork to have our baby. By the time we got there I had begun to contract slightly and was already starting on my own. It was about 11:00 a.m. when I was dressed and in my bed. I had just gotten my IV and was waiting on the medication to begin my ordeal. I was only a 4 at this point and still had a ways to go. I was planning on trying to go without an epidural, but I knew that if I was induced it would be very hard for me to pull it off. With the Pitocin drug, it makes the contractions unberable and that is what was happening to me. I got the epidural at about 2:15 p.m. As soon as I got it I was feeling immense pressure, like the epidural never actually began to work. The pressure was very painful and I was wondering what it was. I had never felt it before with any of my other kids. The nurse checked me and I was an 8 already. The nurse came back 10 minutes later and I was really struggling with the pain. She checked me again and said, "Yup, you're ready!" She quickly gave me another dose of antibiotics which burned through my veins, but was necessary to get through my system in order for my baby to be healthy. So, about 20 minutes later, the doc got there and we pushed through 3 1/2 contractions and Brandon was born! I was completely relieved to have him out. My stomach was feeling stretched to unbelieveable proportions and it was fantastic to get that taken care of. It took us a few days to completely decide on his name. We always knew we would come back to Brandon though. Brandon is a good strong name and Scott is for my dad. We love this kid and already he sleeps very well waking only one time to feed at night. He has been that way since the 2nd day he was home from the hospital. He rarely cries unless he needs something, and he HATES his diaper dirty! When he was born he was rather swollen and looked chubby, but he has thinned out recently and he is soo sweet! We feel very blessed that everything went so well and that there were no complications, even when his jaundice levels went up, the doctor said he would be okay.


















1 comment:

Karin said...

Hey Suzanne, I didn't know you had a blog! How's it going? Ya gettin' back into the swing of things (like you have a choice right?!?) We have a blog too at mksmithfam.blogspot.com