Monday, August 4, 2008

American Idol or Bust

So, I've had this blog for a few months now, and have done nothing with it. But now that I have had the wonderful experience of trying out for American Idol, I figure I have something substantial to post, so here it goes. The following is my story of trying out for the famed American Idol.

It all started as soon as the 7th Season of American Idol was finishing up this past May. As most of you know I am the music teacher at an elementary school, and my students had asked me if I ever tried out for American Idol before. Of course I said no because #1, I am way tooooo chicken to ever do something like that and #2, It was always too far for me to "go" tryout. They told me that I should do it, that it would be "sooo cool". So, this year with David Archuleta getting so close to winning my sister-in-law (Sherry, I love you), kept telling me, "Watch, they will have tryouts here in Salt Lake." I just kept thinking that yeah right, that would be the day. Well, low and behold, she was right and we heard rumors that the producers had booked the Energy Solutions Arena for sometime in July. As time was slowly approaching, I was keen on not doing it for mostly reason #1 that I stated above! I am a chicken, and there was nothing anyone could do about that. I kept getting hounded to do it by Sherry. In the end, I decided that if nothing else, I could prove to my kids and my students that I wasn't afraid and that you can do anything if you put your mind to it! (At least that's what I kept telling myself.) So, 2 days before auditions, we drive to Salt Lake to register. We get our ticket to get in and a cool little wristband that they said only guarantees you a place in line. But if you get there early enough you will likely be able to audition. We get a huge list of things to bring and not to bring. Plus a list of instructions like where to go when you get there, when to line up, how many songs to prepare, and what group songs we would be singing. It was a little overwhelming. The day is at hand, and we spend the night in Salt Lake hoping to be able to get in line early enough. I thought we could get some sleep before we were to leave, but after getting back from the Real Game late and scouring the city for honey (we know, Sherry, it's okay), we didn't get to sleep until about 12:30 a.m. with the alarm set for 2 a.m. This is definately not enough sleep, but I'm okay. We get up at 2 and arrive at the venue at about 4:15. There were people there if you can believe it. We were told that you couldn't start to line up until 5 a.m. but apparently people ignore this rule. But we were lucky because we were early enough that we weren't really in the line. We were in a group of people standing near the front, not crowded at all, but near the entrance ready to go. About an hour after we got there, a guy got on the megaphone and told us that we wouldn't be let in until later because we had to shoot some scenes yelling "Welcome to Salt Lake City" and other such phrases. He told us all to bukle down because we had a long wait in front of us. None of us brought blankets or chairs because we weren't allowed to bring them in, so we sat on the hard cement wondering when we would get to shoot these so called scenes. The longer we sat the more tired we got. Luckily it was still dark and not hot. That would have been terrible. The sun started to rise and I started to get anxious. I couldn't sit or stand still. I had been listening to my ipod and I was ready to sing. I just wanted to get in there. About this time, Justin Guaranni from Season 1 and Carmen Rassmusen came and did some interviews as did the news stations and other such persons. Things were starting to get exciting. I asked Sherry if Ryan Seacrest would be there. She said no and I was dissapointed. I wanted to see someone cool. Finally they start coming around telling us to scream and cheer and yell and be super excited. So, we did all the fun stuff. But I'm thinking to myself, "Hang on. I'm killing my voice." So, I didn't do much more yelling. I mostly waved my hands and tried to look like I belonged. Then someone comes back on the megaphone at about 8:15 a.m. and tells us that we can now go in and find our seats. (Yes, the tickets we received had assigned seating on them, so did we really have to stand in line that early??) But he is sure to tell us that we better not be pushing or else! We get in and find our seats and there is a guy down on the main arena floor teaching us how to sing "Ain't No Mountain High" This was fun! I missed singing as loud as I could and I loved this part. We kept singing and singing and then we sang the song "Get Ready". We were having a blast. But then we had to record it over and over again. Both songs over and over and over and over. Oh yeah, and more cheering. I don't think I will ever cheer again in my life. I was getting real tired of standing and some of us sat down at one point and a guy on the floor told us to get up because we would be sitting a lot more later. So, at about 11 a.m. they start the audition process. It takes another half hour to explain how it works, but it seems simple enough, but it just took forever! It took them about an hour and a half to get through the first 2 sections of the Arena. MAN! We hunkered down for a long wait, when they guy tells us that there is someone there to meet all of us. Guess who it is? Yup! Ryan Seacrest is in the house! Everyone cheered and was excited, but then we had to do more shots and more cheering and more yelling to include Ryan in this process. Another little bit later and they continue auditions again. This time it was a long wait. Sherry bought me nachos and a hot dog to keep me entertained for a little bit. But it didn't last long. Then the girl sitting next to me kept asking me how I could sit so long without getting up (I'm just like that I guess). Her and I started timing the next sections to gauge how much longer we had to wait. We guessed we would audition at about 2:30. We were pretty close. They called our section and we went down there. Remember I am listening to my song the whole time, super confident that I have it and I will be able to do my best. So, we go in our little groups of 4 and we get up to our line and everyone around me is singing and singing and they are loud. I'm trying to listen to them to see how good they are and see if they made it or not, and I'm thinking I have a chance. I finally get up to my turn and I am second to go. The guy in front of me looks ready enough. But I notice that he has a head phone in one ear and I'm thinking to myself that that isn't fair. We are supposed to sing withouth music. Anyway he is finished and it's now my turn. I walk to the table and look the guys in the eye (there were 2 men and both looked rather stern) and I state my name and what I will be singing. I open my mouth and nothing comes out. I knew the feared had happened! I forgot my tune!!! I could remember the words clearly enough, but I couldn't remember the tune. With so many distractions around me, I FORGOT!! I tried and tried and they asked me if I didn't know my song, and I said "No, I just can't think right now." They told me to go back in line and calm down my nerves and they would give me the chance to try again. So, then Sherry goes, she was next to me, and then the other girl that was sitting by me earlier goes too. Now, you can't really hear those guys go because there is way too much going on around you that it's kindof hard to hear. But, then they motion for me to come up again and I'm thinking I'm good and I have it. But I open my mouth again and I just lost it. I still couldn't do it, and so I apologize and return to my place in line. They motion for all of us to come to the table and I'm smiling because I am done and I never have to go through that again and that I knew I was that person made fun of for forgetting the words. They thank us for coming early and standing in line and being patient with them. They said they had heard a lot of good voices, but that we have to be amazing to go any further. (Obviously none of us made it to the next round.) They thanked us for smiling (Sherry) and that we were free to go. That was it. I had my experience with American Idol. We walked down the losers path and they cut off our wristbands and we were done! Even though I had humiliated myself by losing my song, I was extremely proud of myself for trying out. Not very many people made it anyhow. It was something like 75 out of 4,000. But, I was happy none the less. Now, I could tell people I did it and I was proud. I had never been so tired in my life. I came home and fell asleep like never before. I couldn't even pick up the phone I was so tired. But, it was an experience that I will never forget. I hope to post my pictures soon. (Jorge has them on his camera and I don't know how to get them off.) Thank you everyone for believing in me and making me feel good about myself. You are all great. I love you all!

4 comments:

Mandie Green said...

Suzanne, this is awesome! You are much braver than I am! Well, besides the fact that I have NO musical ability, I still wouldn't have the guts to get up there and do this. Too bad you didn't make the cut, but still what a fun experience! Hope to see more on your blog as life goes on. I'll add yours to my favorite blog list on my family blog.
Mandie

Karen said...

Suzanne- you're the coolest! Who wants to meet that ol' Simon anyway?

Anonymous said...

Suzanne,
That's an amazing story! Thank you for sharing. You are pretty gutsy to try.

Troy and Segi said...

I can't believe you were brave enough to try out, that is AWESOME!
My sister tried out and she didnt make it but was happy that she tried.Im glad you found our blog. keep in touch